The gift of love
There’s nothing more personal than creating a unique gift with your own two hands.
This concept can be used to convey a myriad of messages depending on the occasion. Use a single word as we have, or search online for inspirational quotes. These make great gifts and provide the ideal opportunity to get creative with your kids.
– Canvas (this one is 34x34cm)
– Plastic lettering stencil
– Flat-edged mini paintbrush
– Paint tray
– Painter’s tape
– Test pots: Resene Pink Lace and Resene Persian Red (or any colour combination you like)
- Start by painting the entire canvas – including the sides – with Resene Pink Lace, using a paint roller. For best results and a more vivid background colour, apply a couple of coats.
- Use a ruler to measure the placement of each letter to ensure the whole word is centred. Cut out paper letters as a guide to help you get the perfect alignment.
- Place your plastic stencil in the position of the first
letter, and using a flat-edged mini paintbrush carefully paint inside the stencil with Resene Persian Red to form the letter L. Make sure you hold the stencil down firmly, so the paint doesn’t bleed underneath. If you’re feeling confident, you could also do this step freehand.
- After the first letter has been painted, carefully lift the stencil away from the canvas and straighten up any uneven edges using painter’s tape.
- Once the first letter has dried, complete the process with the other letters. As with the background colour, you may want to go back and give each letter a second coat.
For all your DIY projects, big or small, visit your nearest Resene ColorShop. resene.co.nz/colorshops
Creative Project & Styling: Revised Edition