Strawberry French Toast
Why restrict your Strawberry French Toast eating to breakfast – you could quite legitimately have it for lunch or even halfway between lunch and dinner?
- 4 slices fluffy white bread
- 4 tablespoons cream cheese
- small punnet of fresh strawberries, thinly sliced
- 2 eggs
- 2 tablespoons milk
- pinch of flaky salt
- good grind of black pepper
- 1 tablespoon light olive oil
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 2 tablespoons maple syrup
- 2 tablespoons plain yoghurt
Preheat the oven to 180oC.
- Lay the slices of bread on the bench, then spread cream cheese on top of each slice. Cover two of the bread slices with strawberries, then make sandwiches by putting the other pieces of bread on top, cheese side down.
- In a large bowl, beat together the eggs, milk, salt and pepper.
- Heat a large frying pan on a medium heat, adding the oil and butter to the pan. Now dip the sandwiches into the egg mixture, turning them over until they are completely covered. Place the sandwiches carefully in the pan and reduce the heat to low.
- Turn them over when they are a lovely crispy brown underneath, then cook the other side just the same – they’ll take about 2 or 3 minutes each side.
- Serve cut in half with maple syrup and yoghurt.
GF – use gluten-free bread
Recipes extracted from Egg & Spoon: An Illustrated Cookbook written by Alexandra Tylee and illustrated by Giselle Clarkson, published by Gecko Press, RRP $39.99